Annual book year survey is created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner. I'm a bit late of posting this, but heck, there's a ton of hard questions there! So here's a brief (or not) look at my reading and blogging year of 2015.
2015 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 60
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary & Young Adult.
Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
I have to cheat a little bit and say a few of my ultimate favourites from different genres. There just was so many fantastic books that became my favourites in 2015 to just name one.
Contemporary: Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Fantasy: Half Wild by Sally Green
Retelling: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Mythology: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough. The blurb and idea sounded so unique and fantastic - I mean, we're talking about Love and Death being personalized, and of them playing eternal game of love and death. However, the main characters were boring, the setting was not intriguing enough, and overall the book just felt flat.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I'm not sure how many actually read it, but Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli is a book I've been pushing to people since I read it in January 2015. Honestly, I'll keep pushing it to people until they will read it!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?Best series I started: The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan (read The Lost Hero, first in that series)Best sequel: Half Wild by Sally GreenBest series ender: Earth Flight by Janet Edwards (okay, it was published 2014, but this was the only series I actually finished this year - and it totally deserves the title of best series ender in my books.)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Naming only one is a crime. I had a great reading year, because I discovered so many new authors to me, which I fell in love with. To name my absolute favourites, I'm going to answer: Madeline Miller, Becky Albertalli, Cordelia Jensen, and Marissa Meyer.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?The Blackhouse by Peter May. Even though I love crime TV shows, I never read contemporary crime books. I don't know why, but I reached out of my comfort zone for The Blackhouse because it takes place in Scotland, and I wanted to read something contemporary that takes place there. I wasn't disappointed, and I'll continue with May's Isle of Lewis series.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan was definitely action-packed - as Riordan's books always are. However, the most unputdownable book of the year for me was The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I simply couldn't put it down because I loved every moment of it - even though there wasn't always thrilling action in it. So in a way, both of the books I mentioned fit perfectly for this question.
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I feel like repeating myself for bringing this up question after question, but I fell in love with this book. It broke me, and I loved every moment of it. I just know I'll need to read it again soon.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
11. Most memorable character of 2015?Wolf from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. He ate my heart, and I just can't forget him. Also, the name is perfect, and I refuse to call him anything else.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?There were many, but The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is my answer. The legend itself is heartbreaking, and Miller's writing style made it even more heartbreaking and beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman was most thought-provoking for me. It made me think even more about how male's are treated when it comes to children that are not planned, and how the teenage father's are treated. It just pointed out what I already knew - how with all the talk about female's having a right for their body and to make a decision about abortions and their children leaves out of the opinion of the male's. That in today's world a female can choose an abortion without ever telling the father about existence of the child, or do the abortion even if the father would want to raise the child. The book wasn't about all of that, but it made me think about it even more, especially how everyone treated the main character, as if everything was his fault because he was a boy.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. Why? I was unbelievably stupid when I didn't read this right after the Percy Jackson series finished. Why I waited five years to dive into this? The only positive thing about waiting seems to be that now all the five books have come out, and I can marathon them.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
"We do not start as dust. We do not end as dust. We make more than dust. That's all we ask of you. Make more than dust." - David Levithan, Two Boys Kissing
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?Shortest: The Queen's Army by Marissa Meyer (18 pages)
Longest: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (551 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Nothing particular, however, I was pretty shocked when my ship actually sailed for a while in Half Wild by Sally Green. Let's just say that I screamed, cried, and celebrated when my ship kissed.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)Nathan and Gabriel from Half Wild by Sally Green. My ship is better sail in the last installment of the series, or I'm going to be really mad.
Also, Patroclus and Achilles from The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Nothing will keep me from loving them for the rest of my life.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read PreviouslyTwo Boys Kissing by David Levithan. Well, I had only read Will Grayson, Will Grayson from Levithan before but it totally counts even if it was co-written with John Green. I also read Boy Meets Boys from Levithan this year, but Two Boys Kissing was divine and beat everything else I've read from him.
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I'm not sure if I read anything this year because of peer pressure or solely on a recommendation from someone else. I don't generally read anything without checking it out myself, so if someone recommends a book to me, I read the blurb before deciding. The peer pressure also don't really work on me, because if people try that, I'm most likely to refuse to read it at all. I'm funny like that.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
23. Best 2015 debut you read?This is something that should be clear without asking, because I have recommend it to everyone and pressured people to read it. The answer is Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. It's brilliant. Read it!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I could say anything by Rick Riordan that I read past year, because he's a master at that. But for a chance, I'm going to say Marissa Meyer's books (I read Cinder, Scarlet, and half of Cress in 2015). The world-building is so vivid, and even though I didn't identify with any characters while reading Cinder, the world-building won me over thousand times.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Without a doubt Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. Riordan's books are always hilarious, but I laughed out loud so many times while reading Magnus Chase's adventures. It's truly hilarious.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. I wept. I wept so much, and I still do if I think about it a lot.
Also, Without Chance by Christopher Bailey. The twist in the end made my cry so much.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I might repeat myself, but The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It's the book of the year that just made me feel everything, and crushed my soul because it was so heartbreaking, beautiful, and brilliant.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The White Cat by Holly Black. I loved the world-building. I loved all but one characters. I loved everything but one of the characters. Sadly, that one character ruined the book for me. The MC's obsession with the character I couldn't like or care less, and the twist in the end just ruined any chances I'd ever continue with the series. I wanted to love the book so much, but in the end I could only give it two stars because of one freaking annoying and horrible character. So yeah, this one made me s mad.
Blogging / Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
I was a bad blogger and even though I discovered a few new book blogs, I can't or don't want to name anyone over others.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Definitely the James Dashner Event in Edinburgh in October. It was the highlight of my year book/reading wise!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Bookish related, must be the event in Edinburgh where I met James Dashner. It was amazing, and one of the best moments I had this year - and truly the best bookish related moment I had in 2015.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding time and energy to do it, mostly this was regarding blogging. I had a really busy year when it came to studies, especially after September when I moved to Scotland and started university. So studies took a huge chunk of my time and energy, which meant I had less left for blogging. It was a challenge that I didn't conquer during 2015 so let's hope I get a hang on timing the blogging better next year :)
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Is Scotland answer enough? Finland does have some nice bookstores, but let me tell you, they're nothing compared to Waterstones, WHSmith, or those lovely independent, and second-hand bookshops Scotland (and UK) are full of. Also I visited Foyles and Hatchards in London for a first time in 2015, and it was amazing.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed the Goodreads Reading Challenge (60 books) and LGBT Reading Challenge (my challenge was to read 10+ LGBT themes books, and I read 17).
Looking Ahead

















No comments:
Post a Comment