A Monster Callsby Patrick Ness
Published by Walker Books
Paperback (purchased)
Middle Grade, fantasy
Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.
It wants the truth.
A Monster Calls surprised me. More than that, it blew my mind right from the start and it kept me so captivated that I had to read it during short breaks between classes (I usually never read at university). I simply couldn't put it down because I needed to know the truth, which Conor was hiding. The story is full of mystery and so beautifully terrifying quotes. It hits right in the feels and takes no prisoners. I'm still drawn to it - I want to read it again. Definitely one the top reads of this year!
I don't want to tell too much about the story, because I went in only knowing what the blurb said. I feel like that's the best way going in this book, just taking it and reading (and letting it to captivate you). However, I want to say that Ness is a genius when it comes to characters. Conor, the main character, is brilliantly crafted because even though the reader is kind of in his head, it reveals nothing. The monster is also so brilliant, truly a force of nature. There's also tons of secondary characters who feel so real that it hurts. Utterly brilliant characters!
I highly recommend this to every person. Everybody needs to read this! Technically it's a middle grade book as Conor is thirteen years old, but I feel like it's perfect for people of any age. Read it!
5 of 5 stars.
A Monster Calls on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment