22 November 2015

I'm A Book Bigamist. Are You, Too?

Some time ago I read a great article about being a book bigamist - you know, reading multiple books at the same time because you're simply incapable (or unwilling) to focus only in one book at the time. You can read the article here. While the author of the article have overcome his book bigamist ways, I have to confess that I do the same thing, and I'm incapable of stopping.

Once upon a time there was a time when I only read one book at the time. I devoured the book and moved to next one. That was when I was in primary school, so almost a decade ago. I started to really read again after the high school (well, I did read a lot in high school but I mostly read fanfiction, not literature). Few months I was able to stick reading one book at the time. Then I started slipping. First I read an ebook and a physical book at the same time - mostly because ebooks I have are review copies and I can't always take a physical book with me, but I always have my phone and the Kindle app. But now, well, I have way too many books I'm currently reading.

Why I do this to myself? Well, it's quite simple. Sometimes I'm into the book until it hits a point where I don't feel like reading it. I want to finish the book and I will, but at the time it's slow and I just don't want to pick it up - but I want to read and love something. What do I do? Why, of course, I pick up another book! Possibly something that keeps my interest - and sometimes I end up devouring the said book in a few days. Also, I usually have one classic or non-fiction I read when I'm feeling like reading something challenging. I'm a mood reader, and a book bigamist.

I have a picture for you to show how out of control my currently reading pile is. 

These plus two ebooks are all of my currently reading books. Quite few, eh? But I have reasons for each and every one!

Sophocles's plays I have read the first one. I'm reading this one when the mood strikes me.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home - I started reading this last spring, but I kind of put it down. Not because it's bad, because I love it. It's just hard to read because it's so emotional. I intend to start it from the start some day soon.

The Scorpio Races, well, I read it a bit by bit when the mood strikes me. It's not fast pacing enough for me and I have a problem with one of the characters so I don't always feel like reading it. But I want to finish it, and I've read almost two hundred pages already.

Watching the English is a non-fiction book. I read first part of it before summer but I had to take it back to the library. Now I picked it up again last week and I'm loving it, and I tend to read ten to twenty pages or so per day or two.

Fox Tales is a review copy of short stories and I started reading it, but I got distracted. I really need to pick it again.

The Rest of Us Just Lives Here is the newest addition. I started reading it this Friday and I'm making a pretty good process - I think I'll finish this fast!

Cress, oh boy. I flew through Scarlet. I read half of Cress quite fast. But. Well, I just don't feel like picking it up. I got bored with Cress and Thorne's chapters. There's not enough Wolf and Scarlet for me. I want to finish this so badly because I want to read Winter - but I don't want to force myself to pick it up when I'm not feeling like reading it. I'll try to finish Cress before Christmas, though.

Are you a book bigamist, or do you read one book at the time? Leave a comment, I'd love to know!

And well, I'm a book bigamist. It has it's good points and the bad points.

1 comment: