Rushby Nyrae Dawn
Published by Forever Yours
Paperback (bought)
NA, LGBT, romance, contemporary
"Don't we deserve to have what we want like everyone else does? After everything we've been through, don't we deserve it more?"
For the love of the game.
Brandon Chase has always defined himself by one thing: football. Tough and athletic, he is a great college player who enjoys the hard hits and the sweaty grind of the gridiron. But when Brandon is injured, only one person can help him get back on track-a forbidden love he's desperately tried to put behind him.
Alec Andrews has never quite forgiven Brandon for walking away when their friendship turned into something more. But he can't deny help to one of his closest friends. As the two spend the long, hot summer working together, their old attraction comes flooding back.
Now as Alec thinks about coming out to his conservative family and Brandon considers revealing he's a gay football player, the two men must be strong to fight for a love that could be the greatest rush of their lives.
I confess: when I heard about this I was like oh hell no, sports (because let's face it, not my favorite subject). I gave in, however, because synopsis got me and when I've ever turned away LGBT themed book? Never. There was american football and lots of talk about it as well as training but in the end it wasn't the most important thing. No, it was Alec and Brandon, their relationship, their need to love each other while trying to make their parents proud. Rush is an amazing story of how hard it can be to be yourself when it's not something that public accepts without harsh, hateful comments. I wish I'd had a chance read this one when I was coming out to my parents or when I was struggling because my own sexuality.
Rush is powerful, heart wrenching and I confess, I cried a couple of times. Mostly because of Brandon. I loved Alec, he was well developed character, one that I could identify and I loved him very much but Brandon stole my heart. Brandon's struggling with himself - of who he was, who he wanted to be - it was powerful story with so much emotions that some moments I felt like drowning. Brandon's a sweetheart who had to make a difficult decisions and find himself underneath all the fears and years of lies.
Their relationship, all those years, and their love was thrilling and inspiring, and I devoured and yearned for more. I haven't read Four Summers where Alec and Brandon were introduced and even though I wasn't that taken by Nate and Charlie, I might read it for Alec and Brandon - for a chance there's something more about their past.
There's feels, there's pain and hurt, there's swoon worthy moments, there's sweet whispered words, there's great love between two young man's who deserve it more than anything. Character developement is stunning, all the emotions Dawn captured between the pages is amazing and it felt - feels - more than just a story. Brandon and Alec told us a story that no one can miss. It's too wonderful, too powerful, to be missed out.
Dawn told a story that left its mark on me. Rush will stay with me a long time and without doubt I'll re-read it many times. World needs more books like this - everyone struggling because they don't meet society's norms and other's expectations needs more stories like this. Rush gives hope - almost promises that if you're strong enough and have someone to love, then it'll be okay.
5 of 5 stars and everything else I can give.
Rush on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment