The Beast of Callaire (The Legend Mirror, #1)by Saruuh Kelsey
Self-published
Paperback (bought)
YA, LGBT, fantasy, mythology
Yasmin is a descendant of the Manticore. A creature of Persian mythology. A Legendary.
But she doesn’t want to be. Unlike the Legendaries in The Red, Yasmin wants nothing more than an ordinary life. She tries to fool herself into believing that she doesn’t change into a beast every full moon and savagely kill innocent people.
But when Yasmin starts hearing a voice in her head and is drawn into dreams that aren’t her own, she is led to Fray—a girl who once saved Yasmin from hunters, who has shadowy memories that hint at her having Legendary magic—and Yasmin is catapulted into a life of Majick and malevolence.
Despite the danger around her and Fray, Yasmin might finally have a chance at being a normal girl with a normal girlfriend. But with Legendaries being killed, a war between the Gods brewing, and the beast inside Yasmin becoming stronger each moon, her mundane life is little more than a dream.
Can I have more if I ask really nicely, adding some begging there?
I'm not sure if I'm coherent enough to say anything intelligent about The Beast of Callaire - even though I finished it yesterday. I'll try and start with things that made me want to read it. Firstly, it's Saruuh Kelsey and even though it was enough for me it wasn't the only reason. The diversity in this book is truly amazing: lesbian main character who's dark skinned and yes, there was even transgendered person. Kelsey truly did it, something that young adult authors are so careful with and dare I say, scared. What's best: it didn't feel forced, no, it felt like real life where's different kind of people all around.
Characters were good and they felt real with their flaws, and they all had their own characteristic quirks. Truthfully, I fell for Fray and Guy. Fray was lively, a little bit capricious, determined and I really liked her and she wasn't tedious at all. Guy was perfect with all his imperfections, his flaws that made him real because he was no beyond jealous but it didn't define who he was. There was lovely character developement on Guy. If we talk about character developement, then Yasmin needs to be mentioned because she grew up during the book. She was pretty self-assertive from the start but I loved to follow how she learned new things and changed along the story. It was delightful to read.
Mythology part was intriguing, although I was familiar with all of it, it didn't felt tedious at all. Kelsey's writing style kept it lively and interesting, and I'm glad it was about Roman and Persian myths that aren't as well known as the Greek myths.
At some points it felt like there was too many prophecy's and readings because it was losing its charm but otherwise I truly loved Beast and it lived up all my expectations. Wonderful, intriguing characters, plot that was not boring and mythology that wasn't ordinary. What more I can ask for a book? Not much.
Yeah, the ending. I need more, okay? That's all I have to say about it.
5 of 5 stars.
I'm not sure if I'm coherent enough to say anything intelligent about The Beast of Callaire - even though I finished it yesterday. I'll try and start with things that made me want to read it. Firstly, it's Saruuh Kelsey and even though it was enough for me it wasn't the only reason. The diversity in this book is truly amazing: lesbian main character who's dark skinned and yes, there was even transgendered person. Kelsey truly did it, something that young adult authors are so careful with and dare I say, scared. What's best: it didn't feel forced, no, it felt like real life where's different kind of people all around.
Characters were good and they felt real with their flaws, and they all had their own characteristic quirks. Truthfully, I fell for Fray and Guy. Fray was lively, a little bit capricious, determined and I really liked her and she wasn't tedious at all. Guy was perfect with all his imperfections, his flaws that made him real because he was no beyond jealous but it didn't define who he was. There was lovely character developement on Guy. If we talk about character developement, then Yasmin needs to be mentioned because she grew up during the book. She was pretty self-assertive from the start but I loved to follow how she learned new things and changed along the story. It was delightful to read.
Mythology part was intriguing, although I was familiar with all of it, it didn't felt tedious at all. Kelsey's writing style kept it lively and interesting, and I'm glad it was about Roman and Persian myths that aren't as well known as the Greek myths.
At some points it felt like there was too many prophecy's and readings because it was losing its charm but otherwise I truly loved Beast and it lived up all my expectations. Wonderful, intriguing characters, plot that was not boring and mythology that wasn't ordinary. What more I can ask for a book? Not much.
Yeah, the ending. I need more, okay? That's all I have to say about it.
5 of 5 stars.
The Beast of Callaire on Goodreads.
Thank you for your review, lovely!
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy you liked it.
Anytime. Thank you for writing such wonderful books. (Keep writing, I need the second books of this series!) :)
Delete