5 May 2014

Review: Made of Stars by Kelley York

Made of Stars
by Kelley York
Published by Entangled Publishing
Paperback (bought)
NA, LGBT, contemporary

“Even the stars are lies. They sparkle so brightly, but their shine takes years to reach us.”


When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into something else entirely.

The reason they've never met Chance’s parents or seen his home is becoming clearer. And what the siblings used to think of as Chance's quirks—the outrageous stories, his clinginess, his dangerous impulsiveness—are now warning signs that something is seriously off.

Then Chance's mom turns up with a bullet to the head, and all eyes shift to Chance and his dad. Hunter and Ashlin know Chance is innocent...they just have to prove it. But how can they protect the boy they both love when they can’t trust a word Chance says?


 
While Hushed tore me apart (but gave me hope) Made of Stars left me bleeding, bleeding and still bleeding. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I'm devoted fan on Kelley York, because her writings are so unconvetional, emotional and they leave me gasping for breath. In all their glory, her books are golden to me.
 
Back to the Made of Stars. I demand one thing above everything else from books: good, well-formed characters who won't feel fake. Hunter, Chance and Ashlin were good main characters because they felt real with their flaws and sorrows and problems. Especially Hunter and Chance made me fall for them, both for a different reasons. Hunter's a good main character with a clear, strong voice and his character developement during the book was nice to follow. Chance, however, remained mostly as a mystery with climbses on his persona. And oh, how much he touched my heart. Chance is special and even though the story was wonderful, Chance made it downright stunning.

The story is beautiful because it's characters and backround. And it's real! Definitely a plus is also the fact that one of the characters is bisexual. Often it's either straight or gay, it's made so black and white that it's good to have a book to represent those who are neither. Did I already say the story is truly, beautifully heart-frecking? I still loved it - or maybe I loved it because of it.
 
Made of Stars left me weeping, a little bit empty and finally, satisfied as I found yet again a book of perfection by Kelley York. She's not one of my favourites for nothing - no, her writings are so good because it's raw, fresh and leaves you aching for more.

I may never be over this one. Gadly, I don't even want to.

5 of 5 stars and everything else I can give
 
“It breaks my heart a little in the same way that it makes me smile. We're so close to a happy ending.”  
 


Made of Stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment