Arrival (Hybrids)by Chris O'Guinn
Published by Lightbane Publications
Ebook (received from the author, thank you!)
YA, LGBT, sci-fi
The night that Joaquin witnesses the fire in the sky was the last night of anything normal for him. His world of high school and football is completely upended as he comes face to face with an extraterrestrial being.
Thrace, as the alien calls himself, seems friendly enough. However, he has abilities that are far beyond human. And he comes with word that others of his race are already on Earth.
Joaquin's friendship with Thrace takes him into danger and chaos as he learns the terrible truth of why the aliens have come to Earth. He and his friends must find some way to help Thrace stop his people, or the human race will suffer the consequences.
The only thing that Joaquin now knows for certain is that our world will never be the same.
Firstly I'll confess: I didn't expect to adore Arrival this much. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to have a chance to read and review, and I liked synopsis. However, I expected more of action packed sci-fi with aliens and big fight to save human race. It was lot like that but there was so many subcategories that I didn't expect at all. Arrival has depth like no other sci-fi for young adults that I've read. Character's truly struggled with themselves and their beliefs of what's right for everyone. There was so many good, thoughtful points made of humanity and other races living out there. I was amazed, especially when there still was lots of action and world saving.
The character developement was stunning. Mainly for Joaquin and Thrace as the book tells firstly their stories. Now, after finishing, I'm amazed how much Joaquin changed from the first chapter to the very last one. He grew up, was able to let go of his anger and learned important lessons. As for Thrace; he was so naive (though so lovable and adorable - it wasn't annoying at all) but he grew up, too, and learned more about his people and how true world works. I'm flattered that I could travel this journey with them. Supporting characters were also very interesting, not flat at all, and I was delighted how much they affected the story - O'Guinn gave time even for his supporting characters. And his villains weren't villains without conscience nor reasons for their actions. I'd say there wasn't anyone who was truly villain, more like characters with different morals and goals.
Also, romance did not steal away the meaning of the story. Truthfully, this isn't romance at all. The affection was there, underneath but at the plain sight but there was no actions toward romantic relationship. It was good decision to left the romantic relationship out of the story because this clearly isn't about romance - no, more like friendship and tolerance.
If you're looking for action packed story with deeper meaning, great and intriguing characters and well-written story, then this is for you. Even if you aren't that big fan of sci-fi, give it a chance. There's so many themes that deserves to be recognised alongside the main genre. Arrival is clever, funny at times, magnificent and powerful story. Give it a chance!
5 of 5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment