31 May 2019

DNF Review: Top Shelf by Allison Temple

Top Shelf (Seacroft, #1)
by Allison Temple
Published by Allison Temple Books
LGBT, contemporary, romance

Martin is a ghost. Well, not really, but he might as well be. Job gone, home gone, self-respect gone, and no one even seems to notice. The only person who really sees him is Seb, the artist who lives above the used bookstore.
Seb haunts the edges of Seacroft in search of beauty. He knows how to excavate the hidden value in abandoned things--whether it's in the pages of forgotten books or in Martin's stuttering attempts to rebuild his life--and transform them into works of art.
Two lost souls, Seb and Martin discover the strength they need to face eccentric townies and their dysfunctional families together. But as friendship sparks toward something more, neither man wants to risk what they've only just found. It takes two to fall in love, but it will take the whole community to bring their beauty to life.

DNF at 31%

Top Shelf sounded very exciting - I love books set in bookstores and quaint town can be really atmospheric setting. However, it became clear very soon that this isn't a book for me.

While Martin is sympathetic character who needs a hug, Seb is something entirely different. He's rude and acts like an asshole around Martin - and what's worst, he's aware of his behaviour but does nothing to change it. Just few chapters in and all he does is take out his bad mood on Martin, who doesn't deserve it. Quite simply, I can't stand Seb. Martin deserves so much better after the life he's had and since they barely have any chemistry, I cannot root for them as a pair.

Martin is only character I liked, as others seemed more or less unlikable - not as bad as Seb, but not very likable either. Temple's writing is good and if I'd liked the characters, it would have been much better story, but I don't feel like reading about a hero, who's like Seb, certainly not in a romance novel.

No star rating since I did not finish


(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment