Estranged (Estranged, #1)by Ethan M. Aldridge
Published by Harper
Middle Grade, fantasy, adventure, graphic novel
Edmund and the Childe were swapped at birth. Now Edmund lives in secret as a changeling in the World Above, his fae powers hidden from his unsuspecting parents and his older sister, Alexis. The Childe lives among the fae in the World Below, where being a human makes him a curiosity at the royal palace.
But when the cruel sorceress Hawthorne seizes the throne, the Childe and Edmund must unite on a dangerous quest to save both worlds - even if they're not sure which world they belong to.
Estranged has absolutely gorgeous artwork; the style and details are incredible. Often, I just stared at the art instead of continuing the story because of how intricate it all is. The artwork is definitely one of the best parts of this graphic novel, however, the storyline and characters are not far behind. Aldridge weaves a story with depth about identity and formation of families, about accepting and finding oneself.
Edmund and Childe were swapped at birth, so Edmund has spend his life as changeling and Childe has spend his as human pet in the high court of fae, where he wasn't even given a name. Both struggled with their identity and place in the world, and I absolutely loved how deep and meaningful it all was. There's also a plethora of interesting side characters; Whick, a wax golem and Childe's only friend, and Alexis, Edmund's sister. I especially loved how smart Alexis is - she's older and actually knew myths and legends because she had studied them, and I could easily relate to her determined mindset to protect her little brother.
Estranged is beautiful and adventurous story, which I really loved. I cannot wait for the sequel!
5 of 5 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment