31 December 2017

2017 End of Year Reading Survey


Annual book year survey that's created and hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner.

2017 Reading Stats

Number Of Books You Read: 70 (20,874 pages)
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary M/M romance


Best In Books

1. Best Books You Read In 2017?




2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Tied to Trouble by Megan Erickson. I've loved Erickson's book for the last few years and this one was okay, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.


3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Luck In The Shadows by Lynn Flewelling. I dived in without expectations other than possibly a nice fantasy adventure, but I fell in love with the story and characters almost immediately. Definitely surprising in the best way.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
At least in real life, I didn't really push my friends to read any particular book.


5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?

Best series I started: Nightrunner by Lynn Flewelling; by the end of 2017, I've read five books from the series (Luck In The Shadows, Stalking Darkness, Glimpses, Traitor's Moon & Shadows Return)


Best sequel: Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan


Best series ender: A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab; it was better than I even dared to hope.


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
In 2017, I continued last year's trend and tried to finish series as well as read more from author's I've previously loved. Still, I found a few new authors who dazzled me. One of them was Anyta Sunday; I read 8 books from her this year and even re-read one of those. She's definitely author, whose books I'll continue to devour in the future.


7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

I pretty much stayed inside of my comfort zone.


8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?



9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?


 

11. Most memorable character of 2017?

As usual, there was many memorable characters, but this time I'll go with Nate Black from Insight by Santino Hassell.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?

Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter, because the book was written in verse and there were some stunning poems.


13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?

The Last Wolf by Jim Crumley made me really think the relationship between humans and predator wild animals, as well as how the history of wolves is from one perspective only.



14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?

I read a lot of books published in 2017, but one that I cannot believe I didn't read last year was The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“I don’t exist to teach her a lesson, and it irks me that she thinks labelling me is okay now. Like, by liking guys, I automatically take on that role in her life. That I’m suddenly a supporting character in her story rather than the hero of my own.” The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich


 “Rhy held Kell’s pain in his hands, while Kell held Rhy’s life in his.” A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

 16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?

Shortest: Leo Tops Aries by Anyta Sunday (27 pages)

Longest: A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab (666 pages)


17. Book That Shocked You The Most


It wasn't an outright shock, but I didn't guess who the murderer was until it was revealed.


18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Alec & Seregil from Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. Alec and Seregil are force of nature both together and individually, and I just loved them. Their friendship and later on relationship is something beyond anything else I read this year.


19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Rhy and Kell's brotherhood was definitely the most memorable and my favourite non-romantic relationship of the year.


20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Cyberlove series by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell continues to amaze me.




21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
It seems that this time I avoided all possible per pressure as I only read books I chose.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Lloyd from Gemini Keeps Capricorn was a solid guy with sarcasm and humour, and everything good.

23. Best 2017 debut you read?



24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
V.E. Schwab will get a honorary mention as she continued to build stunning worlds, but this year the title belongs to Lynn Flewelling, because her Nightrunner series dazzled me with its complicated world-building. 


25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
There would have been a plenty to choose from this year, but Rick Riordan gets the honour because his books never fail to make me smile and laugh out loud! Especially the Trials of Apollo series makes me smile every single time.

Although, Anyta Sunday deserves a mention, because her Signs of Love series is full of hilarious moments and witty characters.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?

Extinction of wolves in the UK, well, I might have teared up once or twice.



27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?


28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
This year I didn't read anything that really crushed my soul.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
Because it was basically everything I ever hoped from a book;


30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Fence by C.S Pacat - I needed more ASAP, and because I'm not a patient person when it comes to books, the wait makes me mad.


Blogging / Bookish Life

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
I was a bad blogger and I didn't really discover new blogs.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I focused mostly on reviews, weekly memes, and blitzes instead of discussion posts this year.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I attended YALC in London for the second time, and it was definitely the best event. All the author meets and discussions and the overall atmosphere was so inspiring.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
YALC related but I met V.E. Schwab and Patrick Ness again.

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Once again it was trying to find balance between everything in my life, mostly between university and everything else.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I love discovering new bookstores, and Topping & Company in St Andrews is the most impressive I discovered in 2017. It's full of amazing books - I really love the Ancient History section - and the atmosphere is so warm and cosy.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I participated only one reading challenge and that was the Goodreads Reading Challenge, which I completed by reading 70 of 60 books.

I also read over 20,874 pages according to Goodreads, which I have never done before.


Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?

For book I already started, but haven't finished:

For book I haven't started yet:

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?

Vengeful by V.E. Schwab - come on autumn 2018!

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

I'm not currently anticipating any 2018 debuts.

4. A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?

I'm anticipating the next Trials of Apollo book, The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan.


5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?

I want to finally find the balance between university, social life, and blogging, and especially be on top of review game.


6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone?

I've read two 2018 releases, and I can recommend Pressure Head by J.L. Merrow, because it was captivating mystery and budding romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment