Daring Fate (Silver Tip Pack, #1)by Megan Erickson
Self-published
E-ARC
Adult, LGBT, paranormal, dystopia, romance
We all have tragic backstories in today's world.
I wake up chained to the wall of a dark cell aware of two things: I failed my sister, and I smell my enemy.
When I’m taken to meet Dare, the alpha of the Silver Tip pack, I’m sure I’m about to lose my throat. The last thing I expect is for the Alpha to recognize me as his fated mate. No way is he going to let me go now, and I still have to find a way to rescue my sister.
As I plot my escape to save her, I find that if I leave, Dare could be killed by power-hungry members of his pack. And now he’s more to me than my fated mate—my heart is involved. With time ticking by on my sister’s life, I have to make a choice I never thought I’d face—my sister’s life or my mate’s? That’s if I can survive the undead shifters intent on killing me first...
When it comes to contemporary M/M romance, I trust Megan Erickson. The stories are always full of feelings, relatable characters, steamy scenes, plot, and well, just about everything a perfect contemporary romance needs. So when it was announced that she was about to tip into paranormal romance mixed with dystopian themes, I was all for it - even if I have some problems with paranormal romance tropes.
Daring Fate was great, and even the few paranormal tropes, which I usually have problems with, didn't bother me too much (namely the mates and the alpha behaviour). There's an actual world-building, and lore that is very original for a werewolf story. The lore is quite unique with three types of werewolves; the ones who have human shape and wolf shape, the ones who have human shape, wolf shape, and hybrid shape of those two, and the undead who are stuck in the hybrid shape. And of course, the fact that in this world the humans have ceased to exist so there's only different types of werewolves left. I have to admit that I'm not huge fan of zombies of any kind, and I usually avoid anything involving them, but the Noweres (undead werewolves) were actually very fascinating.
As much as there was world-building, Daring Fate is a very character driven story. I loved Reese, and especially his devotion to his siblings, as well as his developing loyalty to Dare. Dare was a good match for Reese as he's the protector type of person, which does not come as a surprise as he's the alpha of the Silver Tip pack. Whom I loved the most, however, were Jude and Bay; the brothers of our respective main characters. Jude, brother of Reese, was just darn lovable and brave, and so cute. Bay, who's Dare's brother, is an enigma and charming character, and I really hope that the next book in this series will involve him as a main character!
As a story, Daring Fate was intense read and it kept me engaged thorough the story. The romance was very steamy and there were plenty of steamy scenes - maybe a few too many at one point before the plot and action really kicked in. The last half of the book was full of intense action, emotions and fighting scenes that just left me breathless. The fight scenes played out like in the movie Underworld, which was one of the things that inspired the book, and I really loved that as much as I love the Underworld movies.
I highly recommend Daring Fate to anyone who enjoys paranormal romance types of books - or even to anyone who wants to try one. And if you're a fan of Megan Erickson, then Daring Fate is a must for you. The only reason why I am not giving the story full five stars is because at one point I got a bit bored with the constant steamy scenes (until the plot really kicked in, and then I was in for a intense ride).
4 of 5 stars.
Add on Goodreads.
Daring Fate was great, and even the few paranormal tropes, which I usually have problems with, didn't bother me too much (namely the mates and the alpha behaviour). There's an actual world-building, and lore that is very original for a werewolf story. The lore is quite unique with three types of werewolves; the ones who have human shape and wolf shape, the ones who have human shape, wolf shape, and hybrid shape of those two, and the undead who are stuck in the hybrid shape. And of course, the fact that in this world the humans have ceased to exist so there's only different types of werewolves left. I have to admit that I'm not huge fan of zombies of any kind, and I usually avoid anything involving them, but the Noweres (undead werewolves) were actually very fascinating.
As much as there was world-building, Daring Fate is a very character driven story. I loved Reese, and especially his devotion to his siblings, as well as his developing loyalty to Dare. Dare was a good match for Reese as he's the protector type of person, which does not come as a surprise as he's the alpha of the Silver Tip pack. Whom I loved the most, however, were Jude and Bay; the brothers of our respective main characters. Jude, brother of Reese, was just darn lovable and brave, and so cute. Bay, who's Dare's brother, is an enigma and charming character, and I really hope that the next book in this series will involve him as a main character!
As a story, Daring Fate was intense read and it kept me engaged thorough the story. The romance was very steamy and there were plenty of steamy scenes - maybe a few too many at one point before the plot and action really kicked in. The last half of the book was full of intense action, emotions and fighting scenes that just left me breathless. The fight scenes played out like in the movie Underworld, which was one of the things that inspired the book, and I really loved that as much as I love the Underworld movies.
I highly recommend Daring Fate to anyone who enjoys paranormal romance types of books - or even to anyone who wants to try one. And if you're a fan of Megan Erickson, then Daring Fate is a must for you. The only reason why I am not giving the story full five stars is because at one point I got a bit bored with the constant steamy scenes (until the plot really kicked in, and then I was in for a intense ride).
4 of 5 stars.
Add on Goodreads.
Thank you, Megan Erickson, for giving me a chance to read and review Daring Fate!
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment