The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)by John Flanagan
Published by Corgi Yearling
Middle Grade, adventure, fantasy
The Rangers, with their shadowy ways, have always made him nervous. And now fifteen-year-old Will has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice.
But what he doesn't yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of warfare and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And now there is serious trouble brewing.
The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time he will not be denied...
The Ruins of Gorlan is adventure in medieval fantasy type of setting, which is something I enjoy a lot. There's plenty of races against time and Will, the Ranger's apprentice, learning the tricks of the trade. Will's great main character; he's small for his age and thus refused by the Battleschool so he can't become a knight like he wanted to. Instead mysterious Halt, a Ranger, takes Will as apprentice, because Halt sees a talent in him. Will's brave and quick to learn, good with a bow and the honest type. Halt's more mysterious, he's tight lipped about his past and anything that has nothing to do about teaching Will how to be a Ranger.
I enjoyed The Ruins of Gorlan for it is funny and full of adventures, and I like to read about people learning and training instead of skipping all of that. Flanagan's writing style is easy to read and fast paced, although some things made me cringe a little bit - Flanagan has a habit of referring all the peasants as simple while praising the lords and guilds. It is just a few comments here and there, but they are bit annoying as the comments are for nothing; it is mostly just to establish that the peasants gossip.
It is a quick and fun read. I do think I'd devoured it when I was younger, instead of just enjoying it for what it is. So, if you're looking for a middle grade adventure fantasy, then you should try The Ruins of Gorlan, and I think younger readers would enjoy it a lot.
3 of 5 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment