12 November 2018

DNF Review: What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera

What If It's Us
by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera
Published by Simon & Schuster
eARC
LGBT, contemporary, romance

Meet Ben and Arthur. Ben is a battered dreamer who's shipping his ex-boyfriend's things back to him. Arthur is new to New York and struggling to fit in. After an memorable meet-cute in a New York post office, the boys lose touch only to be brought back together via a 'missed connection' advert. Is it fate? It looks like it. But after a series of disastrous first date, Ben and Arthur may have to accept the universe should've minded its business.







DNF at 20%

I'm a bit nervous, because most seem to adore and love What If It's Us. I have enjoyed Albertalli's previous books and read/loved one short story from Silvera. I was so excited for this and went in expecting adorable romance, because that's what all the early reviews were praising the book for. However, I struggled with every page since I started reading this last month, and after battling through twenty percent, I put it down. I haven't been able to pick it up, because I get upset just from thinking about it.

What's my problem with What If It's Us? Everything. Sure, the writing is not bad, but the difference between Ben and Arthur's chapters, especially with the feel of them, is huge. Arthur's chapters feel like silly romantic comedy; there's flashmob proposal, goofing around and stalking a guy he finds attractive. That's actually one of my big problems with the book: Arthur's decision to stalk a person, who might not even be the guy he spoke with. I didn't find it cute, I found it appalling. Not only that, Ben's chapters are as far from romantic comedy feel as one can get. Ben pines after his ex-boyfriend, who Ben dumped, and it's quite extensive pining. I couldn't see how this situation could develop into relationship. When they met, there wasn't really chemistry, and Ben's way too hung up on his ex. It's not something I like to read about, so all of this is a case of it's me, not the book. Sometimes enjoyment doesn't line up with the story and its characters.

After all that, I took a peak how the story ends and it solified my decision to DNF the book. I'm not going to put myself through a story and characters I don't enjoy for such an ambiguous ending. I also really read other reviews, and some indicated that the things I found problematic wouldn't disappear. I don't often DNF books as I like to give them a chance to change my mind, but this time I can't get myself to pick up the book again.

Overall everything just felt so juvenile, which I get, it's contemporary young adult, but the amount of second hand embarrassment I felt every page was something I've never felt before. Simply, this one isn't for me. I guess it's so hard for me to say it and to officially give up, because I had such high expectations and the book is so hyped up.

No star rating as I didn't finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment