Shadow of the Wolf (Sherwood's Doom, #1)by Tim Hall
Published by David Fickling Books
Paperback (purchased)
YA, retelling, fantasy
A world of gods and monsters. An elemental power, rising. This is Robin Hood, reborn, as he has never been seen before…
Robin Loxley is seven years old when his parents disappear without trace. Years later the great love of his life, Marian, is also taken from him. Driven by these mysteries, and this anguish, Robin follows a darkening path into the ancient heart of Sherwood Forest. What he encounters there will leave him transformed, and will alter forever the legend of Robin Hood.
Disappointment. I had a great expectations: it's a Robin Hood retelling, blurbed by Sally Green, intriguing synopsis - basically everything just clicked. Tim Hall is a great writer, the style was good and just right for the Medieval times. I just couldn't care less about the characters in the end. I fell in love with Robin at the beginning and I continued to love him, but I couldn't stand how stupid things he did and the choices he made. He made all the wrong ones, because every time he had it good, Marian showed up and he deserted everything to do her bidding which lead him trouble every time. Marian was the thing I loathed most: she was mean, selfish and well, bitch. Still Robin praised her, even though she was mean to him and called him names. Robin endured the worst but he was belittled by everyone, especially Marian, which was strange as Marian seemed to do nothing during the story (and she accused Robin of doing nothing). I think the author shipped Robin and Marian, and tried to force the reader to like them together even though they were no good together - Marian was no good to Robin. My personal dislike towards Marian and how she was praised from time to time affected my reading experience, and if being honest, I could care less about Marian and about what Robin was ready to do for her. The plot partly evolved around that which made me just hope for the end. I probably won't read the sequel (when I bought the book, I was convinced it was a standalone) because I don't care anymore what happens to them.
Basically I loved everything but Marian, which makes it strange how I ended up disliking the story overall. Or maybe not, because even though the story was all about Robin, Marian was the one who Robin was all about, so in a way the story was all about Marian. I just couldn't get into what was so great about that mean, arrogant and selfish girl, who caused trouble everywhere she went to.
I apologize as this review is starting to be more about a rant about Marian than anything else. As I previously stated, the writing style itself was great and there was some intriguing, complex supporting characters - about who I'd like to hear more. Robin was a love for me until I just couldn't care anymore because of his obsession towards Marian and all the bad choices he made because of her. What I'm trying to say is simple: the story itself was good, it didn't blow my mind or anything, but it was good. I just can't agree with the choices characters made and I can't understand the obsession and worship the characters and the story itself had towards Marian - and this kind of ruined the reading experience for me.
If you want to read well written story about retelling of Robin Hood with interesting twists, Shadow of the Wolf might be a right book for you. But if you can't stand mean, arrogant and selfish characters, this might not be right story for you.
2 of 5 stars.
(I simply can't give more because the reading experience didn't end pleasantly).
No comments:
Post a Comment